Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reflection on past writings


                During this semester, we had many writing assignments. All of them were different in what type of writing we needed to do for them. Learning all these different types of ways to write will be very helpful to me during the rest of my college years and my eventual career.

            One of the most helpful ways of writing we learned was writing an application essay. This assignment helped teach us what we needed to include and how to write it. The biggest lesson we learned for this was to “show, not tell.” To do this, you need to show your qualifications instead of just saying what they are. An example of this is instead of saying you get good grades; you say your grade point average or say the grades you get. This assignment was one of the easier ones we had to do. “Show, not tell” was not very hard to learn and was easy to incorporate into my writing.

            Another assignment that will be helpful in the future is the one on how to write an argument. The section taught us that in order to be affective in an argument we need to be able to see both sides. By being able to see both sides you can pick out the other sides points and disprove them. This makes your argument more believable because it shows that you know what you are talking about. Knowing how to properly write an argument will be very helpful for college because there are many assignments where you have to make an argument. Picking an argument to write about for my blog was difficult knowing I’d have to acknowledge the other side and not be biased about my point of view on the subject. Once I found a good topic, writing about it was easier than I thought it would be.

            Looking back at all my writing assignments, I can see how my writing has improved. Knowing all these different writing styles will surely help me in the future. Being able to write in different ways for different situations will help in whatever job I get in the future because I will be a versatile writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment