Sunday, September 23, 2012

My writing history


           Writing has never been my strong suit but it’s always been something that fascinated me. The idea of putting words together to make a story or to tell one seemed impossible to me. It still seems impossible to me.

            I, like most children, learned to write around the time of kindergarten and first grade. Before that, I learned to read. Reading is one of my favorite things to do. Being able to enter a different world just by opening a book was amazing to me. My love of reading is what made me really want to learn to write. I wanted to be able to write a story like all the stories I enjoyed reading so much. Every day I would come up with some story and try to get it down on paper. Most of them were silly or didn’t make sense, but at the time I thought they were so good.

            When I got older and higher up into school, there were more and more writing assignments for class. Some were to write about yourself or a vacation you have taken. Others would sometimes be to come up with a short story. These assignments would get harder and harder as the years went on. The more I had to write and the longer the assignment had to be, the worse I felt my writing was. It just always seemed that whatever I wanted to say didn’t come out right on the paper. I could spend hours and hours simply on one paragraph alone. One assignment would take me so long that I’d eventually give up and would stop trying to do my best on that assignment. Eventually I started asking for teachers to help me and explain to me what I could do to make my writing assignments better. Even though my writing got a bit better, I had discovered that I no longer enjoyed writing as much as I had when I was little.

            There has been very few writing that I have been proud of during my school years. Since I always considered writing to be the thing I was worst at, there was rarely a paper that I felt was worthy of me being proud of. The only few papers I did feel proud of were a short story and two research papers I’d written. All of these were written in my last two years of high school. At the end of junior and senior year we have to write a research paper on topics of our choice. Being able to choose the topic made those two papers a lot easier and more enjoyable to me. I was able to pick a topic I knew for a fact I could write pages and pages about. The short story was for a test where we had to write a scary story with certain vocabulary words. It was a bit tricky, but I can be pretty good at coming up with stories on the spot.

            It took me years to be able to write the way I write today. I’ve always worked hard in my writing classes. My writing may not be perfect, but it is always the best I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment